Javascript turned off is is annoying

The "javascript turned off" is a horrible solution. Our students have no idea about javascript and neither do my school colleagues. In our school, most use Snap to learn other things that are not programming and, what before was simply to click and go, now you have to open the web, open the editor, navigate through the menus, activate javascript, resize the app ... it's very annoying.

I ask myself, what is it that really avoids that solution?
Nobody reads the code, nobody checks that the code is what it has to be because nobody understands it. It is something mechanical and annoying that you have to do now to achieve the same as before. It would be the same if instead of deactivating it you asked the user ... this program requires javascript and is potentially dangerous, do you want to activate it anyway?

I'm thinking of creating my own website to put a modified Snap version where javascript is enabled by default to make life easier for my students.

Could you please be more specific about what your students are doing that triggers the Javascript issue?

If they are using one of our libraries, we agree that the present solution is terrible; in 7.0 we already have this problem solved, although projects have to reload the (changed) libraries under 7.0. We were hoping that 7.0 would follow quickly after 6.9, but it's been delayed and we should perhaps reconsider separating the new libraries out from other 7.0 features. Stay tuned.

If the issue isn't about one of our libraries, please describe it more fully. Thanks.

I'm glad to hear that in 7.0 is already solved.
One of the projects they use the most in 6-7 years is a simple number table to learn counting and relationships between numbers. This program that records the stroke is used to learn how to write the letters in k6. Even this simple program that randomize words to you is affected. They use it to participate in class, to review multiplication tables, spelling contests, and the like.

Thanks a lot.

The "External Javascript Extensions" (EJE) are disabled for more security in this site, isn't true @bh?

If you have control over the user browser/computer you can install "user script" to auto-enable JS for selected Snap! projects. User scripts are natively handled by Chrome or with plugin.
Below is an example, how to enable JS for projects made by "introlinux":

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Snap! Auto JS, userName=???
// @namespace    http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version      0.1
// @description  Auto enable JS
// @author       Snap! || DarDoro
// @match        https://snap.berkeley.edu/snap/snap.html
// @icon
// @grant        none
// @run-at document-idle
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {

let userName = "#present:Username=introlinux";
	if( location.hash.indexOf( userName)==0){ Process.prototype.enableJS = true};

})();

Almost all the things you do using JS Function are now available either as primitives or in libraries. The only problematic case I found was changing the name of a costume, which would indeed be convenient. I'll suggest that as a primitive.

You can copy a costume using NEW COSTUME. We don't provide for directly changing the pixels of an existing costume by mutation; instead you should make a new costume with the desired pixels and with the geometry of the old costume.

You can immediately solve a lot of your problems by using the primitive WRITE block instead of the old library LABEL.

I learned JS when I was 7. Plus it's a relatively simple programming language(And one of the most popular as almost every website on the web uses JS.).

@bh You made the feature when the first actual attack with JS happened(Not just opening a bunch of tabs as a prank). What did that project do?

I'd rather not go into it.

Could you just tell me it did?

I'm quite curious what the project did too...

I'd rather not go into it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.