First-class colors (Part 2)

No. The block claims to be mixing additively, but instead it's averaging.

That seems... ...odd

I decided to use averaging instead but forgot to make it say that in the help screen. I'll update it.
Also

That wasn't by me, credit to @wunder_wulfe

Imma try to find some glitches with the code. (what is the latest version?)

Why? (I'm not arguing, just trying to find a good chain of reasoning for some choice!)

I don't really know, I just associated it with averaging for some reason and went with that. I didn't question it, or really think about it at the time, but I think averaging is a good algorithm. It behaves like an additive algorithm in most cases, but then it also does things like yellow + black = beige (Is that beige? Whatever the name is for dark yellow) rather than just yellow. Which would make more sense because black would probably make things darker.

Same link. If I wanted to change the link, I would update the original post as well.

If it were paint. The way you make something darker in light is to reduce its light. Still, I see that "adding black" is a compelling metaphor. More thinking to do...

Should I just make it additive instead?
(I'm more inclined to stick with averaging... because this happens for some reason??)
Color Blocks script pic

If I knew the right answer I'd tell you. :~/

Photoshop provides these blending modes:

What do these mean?

Hmm, let's see... Yellow is red plus green. What should happen if you add more red is that you have red>255, so all three of RGB should be shrunk by the same amount. I'm guessing what you did is shrink the red but not shrink the green.

I just removed the part where it said divided by (length of colors).

Right, so walk through the algorithm where one color is (255,0,0) and the other is (255,255,0). Your algorithm gets (255,255,0) because you squish the red but don't squish the green to match.

By the way, one thing to notice about those Photoshop blending modes is that they're not symmetric. There's an original color and a mixed-in color and some modes treat them differently.

I think I'm just going to keep the averaging.

OK. Enjoy.

Things I've learned about color today:

1. What is called "subtractive mixing" is actually done not by subtracting but by multiplying CMY values (on a 0 to 1 scale, so multiplying two values gives a smaller result).

2. Actual mixing of paints gives a resulting color that isn't the subtractive-mixing combination of the paints' colors, but rather depends on the specific chemistry (such as the shapes of molecules) of the pigments used.

These came from here.

What link?

original post

thank you