First-class colors (Part 2)

but to needs to be RIGHT. please share the project link so I can see.

This isn't the exact same project (the screenshots came from an experimental fork of Snap!), but you can test both colour-mixing methods with this project:

what is naively?

In this context, it's the one that doesn't do the squaring and square rooting.

ok, but which one is RIGHT? (not which one looks better)

The "naively" would be right, see this YouTube video for more info

@bh If you just want to mix colours like how different colours of light mix, you can just add together the R, G and B channels (and clamp the results if you don't want colours outside whatever gamut you're using).

were you replying to me?

He wasn't.

ok lol

Well, never mind gamuts, we only get eight bits per color, so each is limited to 255 for maximum intensity. But let's say I'm adding (255, 100, 0) and (255, 0, 100), are the colors limited independently, so the result is (255, 100, 100), or do I preserve ratios, so the result is (255, 50, 50)?

Uh, I have actually no idea what this is, we should probably move the discussion of making the blocks to Advanced Topics? And also add an explanation for what you are even saying. I do not want conversations that should be in Advanced Topics be in other categories.

Although I am not either of them, I will do my best to help explain some of this.

Have you heard of the term "8-bit game"?

First, some other context: A bit is a single character that's either a 1 or a 0. Think of it like an on/off switch. If you only had one bit to work with, there would only be two possible combinations, right? On and off.
But when you add more bits, you can make more combinations. With 2 bits, you can have on/on, off/on, on/off, off/off, ... right?
A byte is a collection of however many bits. The amount of combinations for the byte is two to the power of its amount of bits. The maximum amount of values for an 8-bit byte to have is 255.
Now, remember how number values are handled in colors. The red, green, blue, and alpha values are all 8-bit bytes.

To simulate the mixing of light-based colors, add up the red of color 1 to the red of color 2, the green of color 1 to the ... etc, etc. and make a new color with those values.
(While I was typing this, I remembered: @rdococ, you can set an R/G/B/A value larger than 255 in a costume and it will automatically shorten it for you.)

Thank you, I already understand bits and sometimes use them In scratch games! You have explained perfectly

You can't have it both ways! :~) And I don't think you're entitled to tell other people not to discuss something that's clearly on-topic.

Minor quibble: There are 256 values, from 0 to 255 inclusive.

Ah, right.

@rdococ , just wanted to ask, would this YouTube video be right? (sort of)

You need to press the up button actually

i'm just confused---whats the diff between a color and a first class color

@bh will explain