First-class colors (Part 1)

Ha ha.

I don't know, the pause button is 255,220,0 yellow, and I was working with the pause symbol a lot so i figured to use that for some reason??????????

I tried that(using light), and it actually works

Actually I put the RGB values wrong in that post. (I've been sitting in the sun for a while. Maybe it's minor heatstroke?)

(Why does the input keep changing to a non-dropdown, writable input? I'm posting a bug report)

Wait. With paints, you get green by mixing yellow and blue, not yellow and red. Yellow and red make orange.

Ha ha.
[/quote]
feast your eyes on this:
firstclass-colors script pic-4

Turn on the Air Conditioner!

Ah! Well yes, that's a yellow, but it's darker than spectral yellow.

[offtopic]

I brought a fan in my room so its fine now
[/offtopic]

Wait, subtracting one color from the other doesn't make sense. If you reverse the order of the two inputs, so you have red minus yellow instead of yellow minus red, you get a different answer.

What I think is that you have to start with white (255,255,255) and subtract both colors from it, or something like that. That can't be exactly right, but if both paints are wet when you mix them, it doesn't matter which you pour first. (If one is dry and you paint over it, you just get the new color, unless the old color is black, because the new paint isn't quite 100% opaque. Parents of teenage boys know all about this.)

I tried implementing that, and when I mixed red+yellow it returned blue
The script is basically
(Alpha set to 510 so it will report 255 or higher no matter what)
However, mixing white+black worked fine (gray)
is this wrong? What should I do different?
Edit: Doing (white - (a + b)) yielded the same results.

Yeah, it's a much easier problem if one of the colors (doesn't have to be both) is white or black.

It says here that mixing paints is entirely different from inkjet printing. The latter uses CMYK as primary (plus black because cyan+magenta+yellow doesn't really quite give black); the former uses the RYB color wheel people my age were taught in elementary school.

For my purposes, I hereby declare that I'm not interested in pigments; we are displaying colors on monitors, and that's much easier to think about.

PS If you're interested in pigments, you would do well to start with CMY values in your mixing.

right, so using the +/- in a :lambda: in call won't work.

So you are saying we ditch the pigment option?

We're spending way too much time on it and not getting anywhere. :confused:

You are right! :cry:

This topic is about to reach the post limit...

Uh Oh...

don't worry, it'll just make a part 2.

I'm ditching it. You don't have to do what I do about this!

I still need a good algorithm for mixing display colors. Red+green should be fully saturated yellow, not grayish yellow. But right now I'm working on selectors and constructors for colors. I have the constructors, I showed that before, but now I'm working on
Google Chrome002

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 100 replies. Continue discussion at First-class colors (Part 2).