Find a block in your project

At least for chrome, you have to drag the image, not the url.

I'm "finding" (pun intended) this block really useful in identifying unused global variables in my Mayflower project

I probably used a global variable called LOCK at one stage (or played about with it) but it's no longer needed in the project (as the only sprite referring to it is the sprite I'm running the find block in) so I can just simply delete it

You know about the "Unused blocks" option in the File menu, right?

Oh, does it not find variables? We should fix that.

Unused blocks only finds unused Library/custom blocks - completely different tool

It doesn't detect custom blocks just hanging around loosely in a script - it only detects Linrary/custom blocks that are not in any sprites editing pane

Got it. I'm glad you're enjoying metaprogramming! (There was a bunch of "who's going to use this?" in discussions at the conference. So now we have an answer: Hardly anyone will use it directly, but lots of people will use your library!)

PS I'm not convinced that FIND IN PROJECT has to be yellow and all caps; it doesn't do anything to the project.

My thinking is that I need Snappers who accidently/inadvertently come across my IDE helper blocks to stop and think - why does this block look so strange????

And then maybe they'll right-click and click help

They probably won't but at least I've tried my best to warn them

This find block, in itself, isn't dangerous, but the sort variable blocks are and I'm thinking best to just put them all in the one category

But maybe this one could just go into a standard category???

sensing????

control????

one of the others????

We could compromise: Same category, but not all caps.

But stick with the black labels?

Sure, if it works with zebra coloring.

Well I believe that manual overriding the colours of labels in custom reporters is not handled by the automatic zebra colouring algorithm :slight_smile:

But since these blocks are never intended to be used in scripts - I think that's a non-issue :slight_smile:

OK. (What I meant was, are the black labels readable on a zebra-colored block? But whatever.)

Here is the compromised reporter :slight_smile:

findInProject

Updated to handle searching for plain text

findInProject

I thought this would be handy for finding broadcasts their corresponding when I receive blocks but the block can't find hats

So, as a workaround, I'm going to add a comment block whenever I come across a receiver so that I can find them in future

Hi @cymplecy, find your block here. Can we find a way to see whether we can find a custom block used inside another custom block? I just posted a question trying to solve that problem, and searching the forum to see whether anything has been done, I came across your post. It's a very nice script, however, I think it won't look inside all the custom blocks, am I right? This requires us to be able to peek inside the block programmatically.

Having a play around - my blocks seems to have all the custom blocks at the beginning of the list

On a test project - item 5 had a custom block and this little script seems to be able to dig into its contents

costumeFromMatrixFont script pic

I'll leave the details to you - just don't have the time at the moment to go down this rabbit hole :slight_smile:

can you like give us a project link or something pls

Brilliant, @cymplecy
Exactly what I am looking for.

You can drag and drop the image into an open Snap! project.

no? its old and doesnt have xml in its metadata

ohhhh sorry.