Debate: Is HTML a Programming Language (Why/Why Not)

Neither does Snap!, but it's way more of a programming language than either of those two.

Look up Prolog and see if it looks like a programming language to you. (Hint: It doesn't have any "instructions," but it's Turing-complete.)

That's because its syntax is different. It's also because HTML is mostly for web applications and JS and Python are more for...well...several applications.

With Python, you can make Unity projects with Python scripts (Well you could, but they changed it in later versions so C# is standard now), PyGame projects with the PyGame Python library, etc.

With JS, well I don't really know what JS could be used for other than website applications.

Well Snap! looks nothing like Python and JavaScript, so is Snap! not a programming language(?), or Ease, list could go on.

Just noticed BH said a similar statement.

Do not judge a programming language by its cover.

If I'm not mistaken, almost no non-C-family language looks like JavaScript. And there are no programming languages I know of that look like Python aside from Python itself.

GDScript?

Also known as GodotScript, my fellow friend.

Interesting. It looks to me like Python with a bit of JS mixed in.

Wikipedia has the answer.

A programming language does not need to be imperative or Turing-complete, but must be executable and so does not include markups such as HTML or XML, but does include domain specific languages such as SQL and its dialects.

Didn't you just say you didn't want to have a debate about what constitutes a programming language? And- what do you mean?

Looks very much like Python to me, haha. TensorFlow has corrupted my brain.

I don't see how it looks like Python.

This Prolog code
looked similar to this Python code

in my opinion.

Not to me. The Python code is waaay longer, and the syntax is pretty different. Plus the fact that Python is not a logic-based language, whereas Prolog is.

Okay. Agree to disagree.

Oh...k.

Back on topic!

I don't consider HTML to be a full-fledged programming language.

Says Wikipedia. Look at Python code. You technically need the Python Shell to actually run the code, and Python's syntax has changed a LOT. Meaning that 2.0 code won't run on 3.0 and vise versa.

Back then in the Python 2.0 days, you would use commands like raw_input instead of the input commands seen in Python 3.0. Also in the 2.0 days, you aren't required to put any parenthesis in the print statements. Now in Python 3.0 you absolutely most definitely very much greatly need parenthesis.

Well to be fair Python is an interpreted language which means it needs a machine on a machine to run the code. (In other terms, interpreted languages need additional software to run. On direct compiled languages, the code is ran on the bare OS or bare CPU.)

Well I have made a quiz using just plain HTML. It looks like a Flash game from the early 2000s if Flash even existed in the early 2000s. Anyways, my point is that it looks bland and such.

Yeah.

I don't believe you. Give me the exact code.