Date and time formatting reporter

[post deleted]

[post deleted]

[post deleted]

[post deleted]

I'm not an expert, but that sounds like a distinction without a difference. PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) is a timezone, but we still talk about 11:48pm PDT.

I think the invention of "UTC" was an attempt to undo the history of Europe as the center of the universe. Greenwich Observatory was chosen as the center of time measurement because it was an Englishman doing the choosing. "UTC" doesn't change the actual time measurement, but it doesn't privilege a particular landmark along that line of longitude.

So I guess you should choose based on how Anglophilic you are?

Never heard that before. But, thanks to my linguistic knowledge, I can figure out that it's the nominalization of "to like England" (or some other thing related to England).

Adjectivization. The noun is "Anglophilia."

Yes, you're right. ("yo're"? I can't type.)

I never learned to touch-type and was for a long time a two-finger typist. But one day, around age 40, I suddenly realized that I was using all my fingers, even if not in the approved way, and I can actually copy a text without looking at the screen, although I then have to go back and edit it. :~)

? Do you mean on a touchscreen?

I use, like, 4-6 fingers. Usually two-finger, but I use my right thumb to type a space, my pinkies for Shift and Ctrl, and my right middle finger for backspace. I also type a lot faster than I used to.

"Timezone is UTC" isn't a distinction at all! But "a timezone and not a time" is a distinction, of which I can make no sense.

Disclaimer: I haven't checked in Wikipedia yet. Trying to make it to bed tonight.

Try looking here.

No, "touch typing" is the name for the system where you have your four left fingers on (I think) ASDF and your right fingers on JKL; and you practice using the correct finger for all keys in the same column (never mind that the columns aren't neatly vertical). The name predates touchscreens by a century or so.

Oh. That's from the era of typewriters. (Which reminds me, I want to get a typewriter someday.)

[offtopic]Off to watch a video by Brendan Dilloughery. About making a ping-pong project in Snap![/offtopic]

Yeah. It's called "touch typing" because you can find a key just by touch, without looking, so you can keep your eyes focused on the source material from which you're typing instead of them jumping back and forth. If you're properly trained you can type very fast with high accuracy. Those of us who invent our own systems (I use my index and middle fingers much more than the others) don't generally achieve the same level of proficiency, but we can be good enough for programming, as opposed to being a secretary, which is much harder.

It turns out to be a myth that the QWERTY keyboard was arranged in that funny order so as to reduce typing speed so that the letter arms wouldn't jam up. (Someone will tell you that if they haven't already, if you go looking for a manual typewriter.)

Well, if it was, then what would the real reason be, though?

Wikipedia knows. It's something like having characters that are often used together not be on the same finger, letting you pipeline keypresses. That and having the really infrequently used ones on your little fingers, I think.

I remember being told that commonly-used letters were put on opposite sides of the keyboard.