Bignums works differently on different computers

Cool. What's the date 7.0 will go live, or is it hosted at a beta URL now? Maybe if my student points at that Snap his problem will go away

it's at https://snap.berkeley.edu/versions/dev

We're in a final flurry of debugging. Official release will probably be at Snap!shot, 12/11. Maybe sooner if we get really confident. (Maybe later if some disastrous bug shows up at the last minute, of course.)

PS But your student has to reload the bignums library and replace the existing USE BIGNUMS in his code with the new one.

funny, when I just tried it by loading my saved project it worked.

How do you exorcise a library from a project once you've saved the project with the library in?

I'll tell him to export the one custom block that matters to xml, start a new project, and import that block

Oh gosh why not export the whole library? Well I guess the other one that might matter is SCHEME NUMBER.

Why not export the whole library? I thought because you said he has to replace USE BIGNUMS, how can he be sure? Would Library/Bignums/Import overwrite into the project the custom blocks that came from that library before?

I believe that the new blocks don't automatically replace the old blocks in scripts. Now that you make me think carefully about it, I know that when we turned some library blocks into primitives, that didn't change the scripts in old projects. But when you replace one custom block with another, you sometimes don't end up with two different ones in the palette; the new one replaces the old one. I'm not positive when this is or isn't the case, but I'm supposed to document stuff like this, so I'll find out...

Sounds like also if a project were created/exported using the Bignums library of blocks imported from the dev version, since the new version of bignums would be in those custom blocks, that could also be used in 6.9.2?

Testing shows that loading a 7.0 project in 6.9.2 alerts me of the new version and conveniently redirects to the dev url.

@ruberad, you must open the dev version of Snap!, then open the project as usual. Then you must open the libraries picker, choose bignums, and then the 6 bignums will be replaced with 7's bignums. Note that once you do this, the project can not be loaded back into Snap! 6.

What a difference 24 hours makes :slight_smile:

Yeah. Something changed in development that stopped it from working. But once Snap! 7 is officially released, you can port it back.

OK thx, good to be aware of.

How to get the new bignums:

Good news, the student who had a seemingly unique problem is now working ok on the dev branch

Nice :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it!

If anyone cares, the reason the change isn't backward compatible is that we solved the library problem by moving the specific JS code used by the libraries into Snap! itself, accessible through a hidden PRIMITIVE primitive. Since that isn't in v6.9, you can't use v7 libraries in it.

:-)

See this is why identifiers should be case-insensitive...

Yes, but I posted that because the two words, that you said consecutively, are the same.

offtopic

Min/default/max for custom blocks · Discussion #3 · WarpedWartWars/Snap-testing · GitHub