Art & Music (Fall 2021) - Module 1

"Creating Art & Music" is an introductory course designed to introduce creative activities in the context of art and music. Thus far the course has been taught at the middle school, high school, community college, and university level (with appropriate adaptations for each level).

Each week this fall members of classes in Virginia and Colorado enrolled in the course are posting their projects in this strand of the Snap! forum. Here's a link to the course materials:

https://maketolearn.org/creating-art-animations-and-music/

Anyone in the Snap! community is also welcome to post their projects as well. Members of the classes also welcome comments, feedback and suggestions.

This sounds fun.

Your thing on die cutting the art is cool but I don't have a die cutter. :frowning:

@sir_kitten2 The embossing activity is optional for the class. However, if you post a design in this strand, we would be pleased to create an embossed card based on that pattern and ship it to you.

Yeah, but I'm not going to tell where I live to someone I don't know in real life.

Here is a link to my Week 2 project! I wanted to use what we learned in class about drawing rotating shapes and expand that into drawing more complicated shapes like ellipses. I experimented with a few different shapes, but settled to use just two. I used the rotating square technique we learned in class in conjunction with an ellipse drawer I found here. I added some rainbow color and changed the background to black to make the shapes pop.

Here is a link to my completed week 2 assignment. Going into this project, I wanted to encapsulate the ability to make complex shapes and designs out of other shapes and patterns that originally appear as very simple. In order to achieve this, I made outwardly spiraling shapes that vary in shape as the angles are varied (ranging from stars, to squares, to circles, to octagons, ect.). I also wanted to emphasize how sporadic and variable art can be in my design, by allowing a substantial amount of variation to come into play (allowing for the user to change the number of shapes, the size of shapes, what each of the shapes are, and the color of the shapes), depending on what the user desires for the outcome to be.

Pretty! I love the changing thickness, I think the changing texture of it makes it pop even more! :smiley:

Here is one of my week 2 assignment. I wanted to build of the idea of using a mathematical concept as a basis of the art and make a design around it. Thus for these, I made two shapes, (1) one drawing polygons with increasing number of sides (with decreasing side lengths to fit in the frame); and (2) drawing polygons with decreasing number of sides with (with increasing the side length). The result yielded fun spiraling designs. And the best part is that you can rerun the code adjusting for different parameters (commented in the code) to see how changing the various parameters affects the final shape.

[Here] (Snap! 6.9.2 Build Your Own Blocks) While I was exploring fun shapes and designs I made a fun_shapes block that takes in a number of inputs and create a vast number of shapes. To show off the different designs this can do, I made a function that randomly selects parameters for this block and draws the shape. Running through this a number of times, you can see how different changing just a few parameters can make a completely different drawing. In the code I also showed my favorite design I made using this method. I guess you could say this is a modern day Jackson Pollock way of art :smiley:

Your second project is unshared.

Really cool! I really liked how you had all of those custom blocks for each of the different shapes you are drawing. It was fun to watch the shapes get drawn out and the final product is really cool!

Here is the link to my week 2 assignment. For my project, I wanted to use the rotate and draw strategy you show use in class, so I experimented with various shapes until I found one that I really liked. I choose this design because I liked the way the numerous 12-sided shapes (dodecagons) came together to form a final piece that almost looks three-dimensional. I found it interesting that I was able to take this 2D art and create an image that could be perceived as three-dimensional, and the final shape came out resembling an object that looks almost like a human eyeball. If you look within the code, one of the parameters you can change is the size of the object so you can have the desired size of the shape. I, also, changed the pen color between each shape to add some more variety.

It looks like a doughnut with a really small hole. Cool project.

This should be it (Snap! Build Your Own Blocks )

Here is the link to my project inspired by Bathsheba Grossman's art. My art is multiple hexagons which form a spiral. I was trying to create an image I saw online, but created this by accident and felt it was even better. I then touched it up a bit, making the spiral the perfect distance apart and creating the cool color effect. I think it turned out much cooler than what I originally thought to create.

Here is the link to my week 2 assignment. I knew I wanted to create an abstract shape that was very colorful, but I also wanted it to be unique. I used what we learned about making squares, but manipulated the variables such as the number of spins and degree of turns, until I had a product I was satisfied with. By drawing hexagons, my project is able to make a rainbow-colored circle that with many intersecting lines, that makes for an interesting design.

Here is the link to my week 2 project. I chose to use an octagon shape as the basis of my design. Bathsheba Grossman's art combines the repeated use of shapes/patterns in abstract ways which lead me to go this route when creating my own design. My artwork creates octagons of different sizes repeatedly, while also rotating around to create an abstract flower piece. In addition, I added the multiple colors to make it more appealing and add another concept to my coding.

Here is the link to my project for Week 2. I was interested in replicating a simple image of a flower pot with an abstract flower design. My process involved taking the simple squares we made in class, and turning them 60 degrees so they interacted like the petals of a flower. In the nested loop, I added rotations and a change in pen size and color, allowing for more layers of the flower. Another goal I had was to allow for more interactivity, so I created a range slider in which the user can play around with the number of rotations which in turn alters the amount of petals and their thickness, as well as the general layout of the flowers in the vase.

Cool project. But you should but the REPEAT (12) block in a warp block so you don't have to wait like 20 secs.

Here is my project called binary. I wanted to randomly generate binary that fills the screen like one of those stereotypical coding movies. I do this by picking a random number between 0 and 1. During the setup I move the pointer to the top right corner and whenever the pointer goes of the right side of the screen, I move it to the left side. The screen is black because I set a background.