AI/Chatbots

Clippy and BonzoBuddy...

(I didn't grow up in the 90s but my parents kept their 80s and 90s Windows laptops. And also I grew up watching videos of retro tech.)

Imagine using Cortana...no one uses it.

*BonziBuddy

Oh. At first I thought of calling it "BozoBuddy".

I don’t use Cortona.

I know.

That is probably a good name for it though.

Whenever you say something Siri doesn't understand, she says "Sorry, but I don't understand." I guess the servers Apple run for Siri aren't programmed to remember EVERY conversation and parse them to come up with new replies.

Also I guess I have been watching too much TED-ED to think that chatbots today are EXACTLY like the ones from the late 1900's.

People still use the Turing Test. However, even the top-of-the-line AIs today like GPT-3 can't pass that test.

Chess AI, or "AI", have storage capacities and brain speed (I don't know what word I can put there) exceed WAY beyond the capacities of human brains. While chess grandmasters can think of around 1 to 15 moves at a time, Chess "AI's" can think of HUNDREDS OF MOVES FOR THE SAME TIME. We are outnumbered.

Where "people" means "people who aren't computer scientists and wouldn't understand any useful metric of AI progress, but find the Turing Test evocative." People find things like Siri and Alexa useful enough to put up with Apple and Amazon spying on them, even though nobody thinks they're human. I guess you've grown up in a world with Siri and Alexa, so you don't appreciate how much better they are than conversational AI of 50 years ago.

But that wasn't true 50 years ago, and computers could still play quite decent chess, even though not at grandmaster level.

Could you split this conversation into a new post, please? Thanks!

Thanks!

No problem. It was hard, though, to choose posts to move, because some really belong in both threads.

I still want to know the significance of this post>:(

"no one uses it."

Yes but

A:
Why did you post it?

B:
I don’t use Cortona or whatever.